Sunday 21 April 2013

London Marathon.

I have watched the VLM for many years in awe of so many having the ability to run 26 miles. As you watch the elite runners coming home in a time that you would be happy with for a half-marathon, you watch the paralympic athletes and wonder where they find the strength to compete let alone finish 26 miles. You then see the throng of charity/fun runners who have trained hard in all weathers to enter this amazing event, every one that crosses that finish line not only pick up a medal and a t-shirt but they can say without challenge " I have completed the London Marathon " its not always about time its about your personal challenge, your goal, your aim. Whenever you send in your application for any event you have to set your stall out for making sure you are fully aware of what you want from yourself. You cannot attempt any type of event without making sure you and your body is ready for it not only do you risk injury but you are not giving 110% in effort. Its not all about training on the park, its about your food intake, water and lifestyle. You need to mentally train yourself to the fact that no matter what event, you are asking your body to perform, if you dont maintain your body it wont be at its optimum for your event. I sound like I know what I am talking about, but I dont really its common sense, however having learnt from 4 years of events the right food + water = energy. More importantly no alcohol, the odd take away is okay but if you value your aim then you will make the changes.
I will never be fortunate enough to run the VLM, however I do intend to run the York Marathon next October, at this point I will have completed 5km,10km,Half Marathon and Marathon. This will require more training, even now as much as my aim is the half marathon my training must incorporate a pattern for 26 miles, extending out all the time not pace everytime but distance is the challenge.
Last weeks training had gone really well, the weather hasnt interferred too badly and my pace and distance are on par for me to be happy. I go into this week with an aim of a 5 day training week, I am back in work this week so it can cut my training time down a little, but at least my diet should be back where it belongs.
So have a good week one and all, hopefully I shall have an update during the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment