Saturday 27 April 2013

Another week closer.

Its been a good week for training.  The weather has remained fair, temperatures have been perfect, but the wind has been a nightmare.  Even with this menace of nature I have covered 41 miles this week, some runs felt really easy some like today felt like I hadn't run all year but then find that I have broken 3 personal records. I have been experimenting with running before breakfast,  the reason for this is simple...I get a stitch.  I have tried so many remedies for this problem,  dropping my arms so I straighten up my posture but once you are tired posture leaves anyway its not until you see the finish line that the posture returns. Drinking on the move, not drinking at all, eating hours before the event, breathing exercises .

A couple of years ago I ran the Leeds 10km as I approached the 7km point I got a stitch, it was quite possibly the closest I have been to quiting an event. I stopped at a water station and with the aid of 2 St John's ambulance volunteers tried to rub and stretch the stitch out, it was pure agony.  After 5 minutes I had a choice to make quit/run,  I decided that I had to carry on during what felt like a half marathon I came across "the hill" oh goody just what I need at 8km.  By this time I had nearly got rid of the stitch now trying too hard was my biggest problem.  I knew I had lost time, up to the point of stopping I was on target for an under hour, now it was going to be at least an 1.05 this was unacceptable so I began to push.  As I approached the Headrow I knew a turn to the right and I was on the home stretch, push even harder...wait a minute they are all going straight on....oh dear this means I have another hill Albion Street. ..I now have nothing left. As the pack turn into Albion Street you can see the top of the hill well actually you cant what you can see are lots of heads bobbing up and down but you know the top is there. ..somewhere.  Yes there it is, please turn left and head downhill to the finish, yes that is exactly what happens.  I crossed the line in a 1.05 not what I wanted at all the stop, the effort I put in after it meant that I expelled so much energy that even the faster pace I put in meant nothing.
After this episode I tried to find the best solution to stopping the dreaded stitch.  The only way so far has been to run early on an empty stomach,  but this as I found out on Thursday also has a very serious side affect.  When I got back from my run I grabbed my water and energy drink,  I made my breakfast bit of beans on toast.  It didn't take very long for me to start feeling very ill. I decided that to avoid the potential revisit of beans on toast I stopped drinking. I felt shocking all day, felt cold and shivery no further appetite. I came in from work,  I was frozen still feeling unwell I hit bed fully dressed and tried to get some sleep.  I woke in the morning still not feeling too good,  I simply couldn't run like this I will get up and have...then it hit me....idiot woman....DEHYDRATION. .. I couldn't believe I could be so foolish. I spent Friday only drinking water and no surprise I was feeling better by the hour by lunchtime I was ready to eat again.  A hard lesson learned on running on an empty stomach, this morning I did run on an empty stomach but last night I hydrated really well and truly felt the benefit from it.
So back out tomorrow for the start of a new week of adding a few more miles on. Just hope that the April tornados stop or at least ease by half. 

If you would like to help to raise money for Sue Ryder Wheatfields Hospice please follow the link.  Ta ra for a bit.

www. uk.virginmoneygiving.com / ElaineWinterbourne

No comments:

Post a Comment