Saturday 8 June 2013

Wot no training ???

It has been a week I would rather forget. It started last week with what I thought would be a simple cough/cold I would recover over the weekend ready to hit the streets by Monday. Oh how wrong can you be. It simply got worse and worse, I spent 5 days stuck to the sofa dragging myself off to attend work. I knew something was not right when I felt this bad, as I don't suffer like this usually, no energy, lack of appetite, headache, sweats, freezing cold. The GP confirmed along side a stinker of a cold I had a throat and sinus infection, anti-biotics recommended. He was very confident that it wasn't hay fever related, although that has been a problem of late, not sure what gave it away, maybe it was the soaking wet t-shirt and goosebumps told its own story. I wasn't sure the GP would give me any anti-biotics, as I read the leaflets in the surgery that state "Anti-biotics don't work on your cold". Therefore I was quite relieved that this could be treated by them and was confident it would make a difference, the nausea that goes with taking them is unpleasant but they have reduced the pain in my throat and face/head. However it seems to have heightened my sense of smell which is very weird, but it is causing a difficult situation, feeling nauseous at the smell of food. So unless its yellow and has a peel able skin I cant eat it, yes good for weight loss I know but not a great deal else. When I explained to the GP that I need to be training for the GNR he simply smiled and said "Not until those are finished and you are better". I have to agree the way I felt and feel I couldn't have run to save my life, walking was even off my calendar.

So a very slow build up will be required hopefully at the end of the week. Restocking of the energy banks is essential as I still feel very weak which wont be helped by the lack of food. My nasal passages need to be a little lighter as I cannot run carrying a toilet roll round with me, might get some funny looks with that one. I expected to feel very frustrated that I was unable to run but for the first time I think I have realised that if I am unwell then only I will suffer by pushing myself on.

On Sunday a great friend is doing The Race for Life in Bradford. She herself is a cancer survivor, a fighter, a winner, she will enter this event carrying a card on her back with names of those that she wants to remember that have passed from cancer. It came as a real surprise for her to ask to display Annes name,  I didnt hesitate, it made me very proud of Liz for doing this event and for thinking of others like she always does. A true inspiration to so many, a wonderful generous, warm, honest, genuine person, who whenever you see her brings a smile to your face.

On Monday we say goodbye to a friend David, who sadly lost his fight with cancer last week. He was a very special friend to my Husband Mark, they shared a great deal together, plenty of smiles and laughs, but sometimes tears too. His request is no Black attire to be worn, this mirrors the true brightness that will be missing to so many with his passing. The colours will shine brightly, they will honour you, whilst we remember you. God bless you David and Rest in Peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment