Sunday 24 November 2013

Great Yorkshire Stair Climb

I decided to take on this challenge as it wasn't running, it was a thank you to the "Guru" Gary of G-Rex Fitness who had taken his time to train me.
Bridgewater Place in Leeds is the tallest building in the city it has the nickname of "The Dalek" it can be seen up to 25 miles away in certain areas.It has 32 floors. Unfortunately its rise to notoriety is for the sad death of a pedestrian who was killed when a lorry was blown over by swirling winds around the tower.

Over the 32 floors there are 522 steps, the challenge is simple, get to the top. You are given a timing fob which you insert into a port at the start and find the other one at the top to calculate your time.  Mark was volunteering to take photographs at this event so he would meet me at the top. Dan McIntyre a really good friend of ours would be taking part in this event for the 2nd time. Last year Dan lost his timing fob so once it was found on level 10 his time was recorded at the top of the building this year he wanted to beat his time. The first wave of climbers were going at 10am so Dan and me decided we would join in at the end. Dan uses a wheelchair and so to complete the climb he drags it with him......yes you read that right he drags it up 32 floors, 522 steps. I have never doubted what a strong character Dan is but when he did this last year it blew me away, then he did the Edinburgh Marathon (the only wheelie) his determination to rebel against the form is truly motivating.
I decided to try and keep a steady pace up the stairs, but this went wayward by level 5. I was badly out of breath really struggling to the point of feeling very faint and clammy by level 10. I knew that the only person behind me if I passed out would be Dan, I didn't want him to find me on the floor, so decided to slow down a little bit and try and get my breath back. As I rounded one of the flat bits of the staircase a voice greeted me "Hello" I kid you not I could have Kung Fu Pandaerd him, he scared the living daylights out of me all to take my photo. At level 15 the halfway point a little family were gathered with water in hand, baby was asleep but  I still needed to coo. It was a welcome break to be honest, as by this point I couldn't believe that Dan was going to do this dragging his wheelchair with him, I was shattered and I was supposedly fit !!. Rounding the last flights of stairs, I got to an open door where I caught a glimpse of my other half, just one final turn and that was it. Another couple of piccys at the top hopefully I wasn't too red in the face. I walked back down just one flight to take the lift back down to earth. Having had another piccy done this time by my Hubby I had to leave the building for another commitment. Before I left I shouted over the side rails to Dan that I had made it, I could see his hand on the rail so I knew he was on his way....Dan IS the Man.
In the foyer I collected my goodie bag and made my way to the timing station, 7.35 wow I was really surprised it felt about 10 minutes so I was super happy, as said to me later if gives me something to beat next year....
A little later on I received a text from my Hubby who told me that Dan had finished and smashed his time from the previous year. He also told me that the fastest time had just been set 2.59......you cannot be serious I really didn't know what to say other than that.
I finished 85th out of 109 overall, 26th out of 40 Women, Dan finished 106th overall which is super impressive and he beat his time.
When you say you are doing a stair climb the first and obvious reaction from people "that's easy" yeah well put your money where your mouth is and give it a go because I can tell you now its not easy at all. Yes I will do it again next year, I think my youngest Son maybe up for the challenge too. All sorts of people take part in this event, Marathon runners, professional stair climbers, hikers, amputees, they all like the challenge, the challenge of something different, to challenge the norm.
The people that you meet are so friendly there is respect for and given by and to every person taking part. The volunteers are brilliant they motivate and congratulate you. So many people give up their time to help with these sort of events and without them they just would not happen.
So to the staff at Bridewater Place, G-Rex Fitness, Gary Butterfield and Andy Dodman to the volunteers from the bottom to the top and back down again, a heartfelt thank you. See ya next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment