Thursday 2 January 2014

Happy 2014

Its the start of 2014 and a dilemma is already upon me.  To marathon or not to marathon. 
I did quite a few events during 2013 but I had my first half marathon and as much at the time I thought I was going to die, I cannot wait to do it again. I also ran with my Grandson in the Leeds Santa Dash this was a very special time for Leo as he has wanted to run with me for a while.
My running is important to me not only for my own wellbeing and fundraising but it gives me my time out, its the only time I need to concentrate on something else. I will never break any records or smash any barriers but I love the time I spend on my running/plodding.  This is where my dilemma lays. After I did the GNR my body was in complete and total agony. However,  it transpires that my running style and posture were much more to do with the pain than the distance.  After meeting the 'Guru' and changing my running style. Having Bowen treatment helped every single ache and pain I had. With the combination of these two influences my aches, pains and speed improved (the latter only a bit). With the added investment of a proper pair of running slippers all looked good. I did the Leeds Abbey Dash to test myself with the new technique and it was hard work on my toes over 10km but I completed it. No aches or pains the following day in fact I went running that morning which was a first. Then with the onset of the cold winter months it spells very little running for me. Due to the condition with my vocal chords I cant breathe.  The cold air tightens my vocal chords meaning very little air enters my lungs it feels like the air stops in my throat. But due to another complication of rhinitis I can't breathe through my nose this therefore causes a major problem.  I have to pick my days carefully and limit my distance but it can be very difficult.  To try and balance this I bought a cross trainer which has and will be a huge help.
So as we enter 2014 my desire to do a marathon is there the marathon in mind is York. Now the only complication if thats the right word is that the GNR will be the month before the marathon. ...meaning that I will need to be at full marathon distance by September.  Hopefully the winter will be a kind one meaning I can be out lifting my distance.
Today I have downloaded Strava and taken on the January challenge this will either work or fail miserably depending on the weather.  But I am aiming to get out every day,  I think I might ask my little running buddy if he fancies a little jog around the dam.

No comments:

Post a Comment