Friday 3 May 2013

Temptation is in my path.







The temptation placed in my path as the messages about the ballot for 2014 VLM was over-whelming. There is only one reason to run the VLM, its so high ranking that its something you just have to do its the pinnacle.There are a few reasons why I cant, the travelling, the amount of sponsorship required is beyond my limited means. My own personal goal is to run the York marathon in October 2014, I do believe that to run the VLM 6 months after the GNR could be a bridge too far for me personally. By aiming for the York marathon it allows me time off during bad/cold weather, as I have discovered over the last week or so that strong winds are something my vocal chords simply cant handle. As I run into strong winds I cant breathe, due to my condition I feel like I am only getting air into my throat not my lungs. This makes me out of breath very quickly, leading to panting which as the wind is blowing into my face means I cant catch my breath. This leads to me feeling very light-headed and faint, not something I need when I am on my own. Due to a condition called Rhinitus I cannot breathe through my nose, which compounds the need to breathe fully by mouth. The winds were so strong on Sunday that I had to turn back, I was so disappointed but when I got home the running apps on my phone confirmed more PB's (wind assisted).
The aim for this week is a 3 day running plan but to extend the distance. I mapped out what I expected to be at least a 10 mile route, unfortunately it was only a 6.2 miles. The route I do at the moment takes in around 4 miles, I can double this route but the thought of tripling or quading doesn't appeal to me. The weather forecast for this week is looking good, the winds are returning later in the week but I shall try my best to bring in a few more PB's.  Todays plan was for slower runs but greater distance, but I found it really difficult to run a bit slower, my split times over the half mile were the same as I have done previously. I managed 7.3km at a resonable pace so ulitimately the combination is working.

This week has not gone fully to plan, only managed to miss the run this morning though. I started with a sniffle earlier in the week but managed to still run with it. However this morning my head is banging and the pain at the back of my eyes and nose has prevented the run this morning. Last year I had tests for triggered asthma and hayfever, and I didnt have any of them. But since the grass cutting has started my head, nose and eyes have been thumping. It doesnt hamper me mid morning but early morning or early evening is a sneezefest. I have been lucky this week that the weather has improved running in sunshine is lovely, the wind speed has dropped, so all round perfect conditions. I am now on my 2 days off I am back out all next week with rest days Sunday and Monday. A busy schedule but an opportunity to extend and bulid.

This week brought to the fore the reason I am supporting Sue Ryder Wheatfields Hospice. A neighbour and friend is needing the help of Wheatfields. The help and care that they offer make such a difference, not only to the patient but to family and friends.
This weekend also brings the sad reality of cancer, my Sister Anne would have celebrated her birthday on Sunday. Without the care and support of Wheatfields during her illness our family wouldnt have been able to spend the time with her that was so valuble and so short.
Every time I run I think of Anne, I know that I run with her support behind me. I hear songs that remind me of her and they push me on.

If you would like to help me to support this amazing place and make a difference please follow this link.

www.ukvirginmoneygiving.com/ElaineWinterbourne

Thank you, enjoy your long weeknd. Stay safe.


No comments:

Post a Comment